The Waikato Campaign of 1863-64 was the major campaign of the New Zealand Wars. More than 12,000 British and Colonial troops invaded the Waikato, where King Tāwhiao and his supporters were based.
The Meremere redoubt was one of 22 earthwork forts built between Auckland and Pirongia. Initially a Maori stronghold, it was occupied by their opponents when the Maori forces abandoned it overnight to regroup at Rangiriri.
Many physical features of the sites associated with the Waikato Campaign have been damaged and lost over time. Meremere redoubt is relatively well preserved, and easily accessible.
Photograph by Kevin L. Jones.