EarthDiverse is pleased to announce its 2020 Term 1 class in the ‘Discovering Religious Diversity’ series currently being offered since 2019 in Te Awamutu. Term 1 will focus on the History & Development of Christianity, while Term 2 will focus on the History & Development of Islam.
Discovering Religious Diversity series:
Learn about the history, development and contemporary practice of the world’s major religions in this introductory series of Term classes. Each Term has a different focus and covers different material. The first set of Terms focus on the history and development of each of the world’s main faith and belief traditions, while the second set of Terms focus on Selected Topics in the Contemporary Practice of each of the major world religions.
In the first half of this series, we explore both Western and Eastern Traditions. In the second half, we look at selected topics in the contemporary practice of religion, focusing on a different topic during each class, and viewing how each religion approaches that particular topic. Structuring discussions in this way allows us to focus on the similarities between the major world religions rather than on any perceived differences.
The second half of this series focuses on a comparative examination of the contemporary values and practices of the major world religions, and involves a critical exploration of lifecycle rituals and beliefs, from birth to death, food and clothing preferences, festivals and other activities associated with what religions do.
Any Term class can be taken independently of any other term class. There are no prerequisites for any of the Religious Diversity classes.
Term 1 2020: History & Development of Christianity
- This class comprises the third part of the RD101 “History and Development of the Western Religious Traditions” class, a part of the introductory ‘Discovering Religious Diversity’ series
- Subsequent Terms cover Islam (RD101-Part 4) offered in Term 2, followed by RD102 – “History and Development of the Eastern Religious Traditions” in which Hinduism is offered in Term 3 & Buddhism in Term 4
- Class meets on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month during school Terms from 6:30-9:00pm.
- There are 4 classes per Term.
- Term 1 class meeting dates are: 19 Feb, 4 Mar, 18 Mar and 1 Apr 2020
- Classes are held at St John’s Anglican Church, 162 Arawata Street, Te Awamutu
- Waged: $54.00 per person per Term
- Unwaged (students, unemployed, seniors): $44.00 per person per Term
Prices include a $4 online registration fee per participant
For more information on this and our other courses, visit our website.