Join the new NZTrio - Amalia Hall (violin), Ashley Brown (cello) and Somi Kim (piano) for Tectonic Impact which musically examines the fundamental forces that shape environments and communities, focussing on Aotearoa New Zealand’s turbulent relationship with the United Kingdom, and the struggle between Cold War superpowers Russia and America.
- Frank Bridge (UK) Saltarello
- Martin Lodge (NZ) Nga Whetu Hou (new commission)
- Frank Bridge (UK) Intermezzo
- Ross Harris (NZ) Senryu
- Rebecca Clarke (UK) Piano Trio
- Alfred Schnittke (USSR) Trio
- Daniel Schnyder (USA) Piano Trio
The programme compares and contrasts the very English sounds of Frank Bridge and Rebecca Clarke, colliding them with NZTrio’s latest commission from Martin Lodge which responds to the evolving Māori-Pakeha relationship, and an earlier commission from Ross Harris. The second half delivers a battle between Russia’s Schnittke in one corner and America’s Schnyder in the other.
Approx. 90 mins plus interval followed by complimentary drinks.