Designed for the ladies who are interested in trying out a few different street photography techniques. This is not a technical workshop or about how to operate your camera; it’s about the ‘art’ of street photography and being comfortable creating great images with your camera, using either manual or auto settings.
As well as learning great new street photography techniques and creative approaches, you will discover how to produce stylish and distinctive images which reflect your style.
With a minimum of one and maximum of six, we start the day with coffee before heading out to see what we find; looking for great subject matter in the people at work or play, the shops and on the streets.
On this Social Photography Adventure we head to Bohemian Karangahape Road, explore Auckland’s oldest cemetery and go behind the scenes of at least two interesting locations, plus many more exciting photographic opportunities.
What you will learn:
- Develop a street photographer’s ‘eye’ and learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an everyday street scene
- Appreciate the aesthetics of street photography
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’
- Understand the components of a great street image
- Practice different types of street photography and discover your preferred style of shooting
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at 10.00 am for coffee, introductions, and tuition session before setting off onto the streets
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’ and behind the scene photographic opportunities where we will put into practice some of the principles learned; expect to walk over 10,000 steps on this adventure
- Throughout the day you will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching
- Lunch at Little Turkish Cafe, with a group discussion before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm/5.00pm with a glass of wine and a thorough debrief plus a further Q&A session
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the adventure
- After the adventure, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our closed group FaceBook alumni network.
What to bring:
- Camera – fully charged
- Ideally a prime or zoom lens which has a focal length of around 28 or 35mm (full-frame) or around 18 or 24mm (crop sensor)
- Camera backpack or bag
- Spare camera battery (recommended)
- Spare memory cards
- Dress for the day; comfortable clothes and shoes
- Water bottle
- Tripod/monopod; optional but not necessary
- Towel or small tarpaulin to kneel on.
Where do we meet?
- Coffee Club – Aotea Centre
Where do we finish the day?
- Coffee Club – Aotea Centre
What is included?
- Glass of wine
- Great company.