Harlequin Musical Theatre started as Howick Light Opera Group in 1959. Members predominantly come from Howick, Bucklands Beach, Pakuranga and Manukau City in Auckland.
The Howick Light Opera Group's first musical was Jerome Kern's "Sally", presented in the Pakuranga Hall on the 27th, 28th and 29th October 1960. Since then over 90 musicals were produced, involving countless numbers of amateur and semi-professional performers, dedicated production crews, technical experts, set, costume and lighting designers, directors, choreographers, musical directors and musicians from all over Auckland. Click here for a list of our past productions.
In 1966, the Light Opera Group became the Howick Operatic Society Inc. and in the mid-1970's, plans were made for some intense work by volunteers and members to build a rehearsal theatre on our present site.
In 1984, HOS celebrated it's Silver Anniversary, had a ball for it's 30th year in 1989, and in 1993/1994, a building renovation project and many more hours of voluntary labour gave us - and the Howick area - the refurbished Harlequin Theatre.
We now have our own their well-equipped "boutique" theatre which seats 140. The shows continue on, and we still attract high quality performers from all over the greater Auckland area.
We hope that you will soon enjoy "a night at the Harlequin".