English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) is designed to prepare you for a globally recognised certificate in English language teaching. The course is ideal for non-native English speakers without or little formal teaching experience.
Key skills gained from the course:
- Awareness of language and the background to language learning and teaching
- Familiarity with different teaching methodologies for language learning
- Knowledge of lesson planning and the use of resources for language teaching
- Awareness of effective classroom management techniques
Students who study English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) at ELA can benefit from:
- Observing ELA’s highly experienced teachers in live teaching sessions
- Participating in regular conversation clubs to improve English speaking confidence.
- The use of ELA Study Centre with extensive range of teaching resources, computing and printing facilities for self-directed study.
- Registering for the Cambridge TKT test at ELA’s test centre located on the same premise.
10 weeks: The 10-week English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) course not only prepares you for the TKT exam, but offers authentic teaching practice and a practical assessment. Ideal for students who would like to further develop English language skills, conduct real-life teaching sessions and prepare for the TKT test.
$5,190 (10 weeks)
Why study at the ELA?
Global reputation: Choose to study at the English language school of the University of Auckland, a world top 100 university and the leading university in New Zealand.
Facilities and support: We have a dedicated student services team offering pastoral care and accommodation support. A Study Centre open 6 days a week and study labs with computing facilities equipped with learning technology. We also provide help with arriving in Auckland and finding accommodation. We have weekly exciting social, sporting, and cultural activities
International connections: Meet, make friends and learn English with people from around the world. Each year the ELA welcomes students from over 35 countries into our English language courses.
Teaching excellence: Learn from highly qualified and experienced teachers.The ELA employs experienced teachers with degrees and TESOL qualifications, who are all dedicated to helping you reach your goals. ELA teachers use a communicative language teaching approach, where interaction and communication are the main aims of study. Lessons involve active learning through pair and group work, in which teachers facilitate communication and provide you with every opportunity to practice your language skills.
Direct pathways into New Zealand’s top tertiary institutions: Meet the English language requirements for entry to programmes at the University of Auckland and some other New Zealand tertiary institutions.
English language testing: We are an accredited IELTS and PTE Academic testing centre.