The Sunbay consists of a curved arcade with a pierced wall of unglazed windows on the seaward side and a group of columns on the western side.
The structure was built in 1934, and in 1937 it was named the "Veronica Sun Bay" when the bell from HMS Veronica was presented to the city as a memento of the assistance given by the ship's officers and crew in rescue work in the aftermath of the 1931 earthquake.
By 1988, the steel reinforcing of the original structure had badly corroded and was unsafe. It was demolished and replaced with a replica in 1991.
Now housed in the Hawke's Bay Museum, the Veronica Bell is rung to herald in the New Year and again at the conclusion of Art Deco weekend to commemorate those who suffered and died in the earthquake.