The Blockhouse was built in 1860 by Mr W Taylor under the supervision of Corporal Tapp of the Royal Engineers. Construction cost 725 pounds. The timber used for construction was totara and matai which was milled nearby at Cruickshank’s Mill. The timber still shows the mark of the circular saw. The walls are designed in a similar way to most Victorian Houses but heavier framing with one-inch cladding.