First established in the 1870s the course hosted the 1893 New Zealand Championship.
Originally called the Christchurch Golf Club, Hagley gave starts to both Shirley and Russley Golf Clubs. Hagley maintained its independence through some tough times in the early days.
Nowadays the course is an integral part of Hagley Park but maintains its independence by operating and maintaining the course with no financial help from the City Council.
The Club is proud of the manner in which it maintains the section of Hagley Park that it looks after, and has and will continue to allocate its resources to the betterment of the course and greater park.