Meet your expert guide at the Visitors Centre ticket desk, located at Zealandia.
The tour will begin with an introduction in the exhibition and viewing of a short film on the big screen, which describes the significance of the sanctuary and its ground-breaking conservation work.
After the film, venture out into the sanctuary to explore along a variety of tracks and trails. You will be asked to complete a short bio-security bag check, before entering the sanctuary. This is to prevent any predators, such as rats or mice, from entering the sanctuary with you.
On your guided walking tour your guide will inspire you along the way with stories about the sanctuary and its wildlife, immersing you in the ground-breaking conservation work happening at Zealandia.
Your guide's expert knowledge of the sanctuary will help you make the most out of your experience with New Zealand nature. You will have plenty of opportunities to take photographs of some of the world's rarest creatures and picturesque landscapes.
Zealandia is the world’s first fully-fenced urban eco-sanctuary, with an extraordinary 500-year vision is to restore a Wellington valley’s ecosystem as closely as possible to its pre-human state. So far, they have successfully reintroduced nearly 20 species of native wildlife back into the area, six of which were previously absent from mainland New Zealand for over a century.
The 225-hectare eco-sanctuary is located only ten minutes from the CBD. Discover New Zealand’s unique ecological history and be inspired by the ground-breaking conservation efforts to preserve it.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Ticket price includes entrance fee.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with mobility issues.
- Not wheelchair accessible (please inquire about a private tour).
- Please arrive at the Visitors Centre 15 minutes before your tour start time.
- Please wear sturdy footwear, warm clothing and bring a waterproof layer, as tours proceed rain or shine. Rain ponchos can be purchased at the Visitor Centre.
- Photography is allowed on this tour.
- Tickets are half-price for Zealandia members.