The waterfront Tamakae Reserve is a popular destination for picnickers and visitors. The area contains the George Doherty Green and the Waiuku Museum.
At the entrance to the Reserve stands a striking statue of legendary Maori figure Tamakae, carved from swamp kauri logs. The logs were found during some excavation work at New Zealand Steel and gifted to the local iwi (tribe), Ngati Te Ata. The Reserve also has a small historic “village” with several restored buildings including Hartmann House, dating back to 1886, now operating as a local craft studio, Pollock Cottage (1890), Waiuku Jail (1865) and The Creamery (1890’s).