McLean's Mansion, first known as Holly Lea, was built for Allan McLean (1822-1907). Holly Lea, now known as McLean's Mansion, is significant as one of the largest timber houses in New Zealand and is a well known and publicly appreciated part of Christchurch's architectural history. Its Jacobean features, built in local materials, are particularly interesting. Historically, its link to the break-up of the great estates is interesting, as is the house's link to the McLean Institute, which demonstrates the past importance played by private philanthropists in the provision of the community's welfare needs. The house also played a role in the history of the New Zealand School Dental Service.