Yearning to write but not sure how or where to start?
If you want 2020 to be the year you finally start writing, this introduction to creative writing is for you.
It's a fun one-day workshop that explores how to turn an awesome story idea into a story. And you'll be sharing the day with other newer writers like you.
Earlybird Registration now on sale...
It doesn’t matter whether you want to write a short story, novel, memoir, essay or novella because this workshop is all about how stories work and the elements you need to get started. (NB: This is a friendly space and sharing is optional – so no need to be nervous!)
Facilitator: Kathryn Burnett
During this workshop participants will:
- Learn how to generate compelling story ideas.
- Learn techniques that will help you access the extraordinary power of your imagination.
- Learn the key elements of fiction writing – POV, character, characterisation, setting, story structure, voice and imagery
- Decide which medium you want to write in and get your story started
- Learn the difference between “showing” and “telling”.
- Learn how to use the elements of your world to enhance your writing.
- Learn how to keep moving your project forward.
- Discover the pleasure of putting words on the page.
Who is this workshop for?
It’s a perfect introduction for newer or aspiring writers who want to dip their toes into the world of creative writing. And newer writers who have already made a start but need a refresher.
Writing Workshop Testimonials:
“Loved Kathryn’s relaxed and yet professional teaching style – great sense of humour and ability to communicated ideas clearly and concisely.” - Katherine Smith – Data Entry Operator
“I wrote a story that was directly inspired by one of Kathryn’s creativity exercises during her workshop. The story went on to win a NZ Society of Authors competition and I have just heard that it has been accepted for publication in Landfall! A real breakthrough for me.” - Bronwyn Calder
“The workshop really helped hone my idea down to its emotional core, and gave me useful practical application to plan an outline to follow. Highly recommended.” - Wayne Hotu, Writer
“Thank you so much for a very enjoyable, productive day. You have given me just the jump start I need to begin working on my stage play and I really appreciated your practical and hands on approach to the workshop." - Emma Love – Celebrant/Writer