The Church was built in 1864-65 and has been in regular use since then.
The Mission Rector at that time was Fr Jean-Baptiste Chataigner, the assistant Fr Claude Chervier. Both priests belonged to the Society of Mary (Marist Fathers) and were based in Christchurch.
The builder was Irish-born John Patrick Cullen from Lancashire who had settled in Akaroa in 1859 with his bride of five months. The architects were Bury and Mountfort of Christchurch.