This was one of a string of redoubts built by the Armed Constabulary in South Taranaki from the late 1870s. The colonial military was closing in on the Maori community at Parihaka, where the prophets Te Whiti o Rongomai and Tohu Kakahi led non-violent resistance to land confiscation.
The 30 m square fort erected in 1880 was flanked by two small weatherboard blockhouses. In the early 20th century its wooden lookout tower was replaced by a concrete replica.
Image attribution: David Green.