Conscious Kids is proud to be safeguarding children's right to free play in nature. Our Holiday Programmes are designed as an antidote to the fast-paced technology-filled world our children now inhabit. A chance to unwind and play as their parents did, climbing trees, building huts, exploring and of course playing bullrush!
Blockhouse Bay Reserve
Little Shoal Bay Reserve
Long Bay Regional Park
Meola Reef Reserve
Western Springs Lake Park
The foundation of our programmes is free-play in a natural setting with as little assistance as possible from equipment and technology. Extension opportunities will be available but only if the children genuinely want to participate. We provide basic equipment suitable for exploring the outdoors: ropes, tarpaulins, bungees, compass, magnifying glasses, knives (to be used with supervision), and some art equipment. Any personal devices (phones, iPods, etc) must be left at home.
Playing in the outdoors inevitably means getting dirty, and often getting a few scrapes and bruises too. If you or your child are not happy with this concept then this is not the programme for you.
The program will go ahead in all weather. Rain brings exciting opportunities for play and exploration and of course shelter building! Good quality wet weather gear is very important. We wholeheartedly believe the famous quote "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". In case of the severe weather warning, we always have an indoor venue booked and ready to move the group in.
Some benefits of regular free play in nature:
- Increased physical activity, and less risk of childhood obesity
- Children learn to interact with, and better understand the natural world
- Helps improve children’s cognitive function, personality development, and attention in school
- Improves childhood mental health and ability to handle stress
- ‘Dangerous’ free play gives children a chance to develop the physical and emotional skills to deal with emergencies
- Children learn to assess and manage risks
- Learn to regulate emotion, and practice negotiation skills
- Develop and practice motor skills
- Supports creativity and problem solving
Ratio 1 adult: 8 children.
*To ensure our children get the best of our free play spaces and enjoy the Conscious Kids way of play, we require at least 12 children to attend per day, so please invite your friends for the days of pure fun during the holidays!