Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
This courses runs over eight weeks with a two-hour lesson weekly 7 - 9PM.
Mondays 4 May 2020
Mondays 27 July 2020
Wednesdays 14 October 2020
This course is appropriate for learners with no knowledge of Chinese who wish to gain an ability to understand and produce simple everyday expressions in Chinese. This course will provide a useful foundation for those travelling to China to be able to greet others courteously and introduce themselves.
The course covers:
- an introduction to the Chinese pronunciation system
- introducing yourself and basic communication for travel and everyday living
- telling the time
- an introduction to simple Chinese characters.
Vocabulary and phraseology covered in the course includes:
- conversation about self, introductions, family
- time, weather, directions
- travel, accommodation and food
- introduction to basic reading of Chinese characters
- introduction to basic writing of Chinese (Pinyin and simple characters).
On completion of this course, we expect learners to be able to:
- understand some simple Chinese words and phrases related to travel, work and everyday situations
- have basic understanding of the Chinese pronunciation system
- count low numbers, tell the time and give the date, count money
- introduce themselves and their family and give some basic personal information
- greet others politely in Chinese
- recognise some simple Chinese characters
Lessons are two hours in duration, once a week, over an eight week period. To achieve the learning outcomes, students are expected to undertake some simple homework exercises each week including a few minutes practice each day.
We also offer a Chinese Mandarin Improvers course.
Our mission is to provide quality affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities for our community.