The Mercury Bay Game Fishing Club has some wonderful history and is one of the first gamefishing clubs to be established in New Zealand.
The Mercury Bay Swordfish and Mako Shark Club was established in 1924 by a small band of local enthusiasts held a meeting in the cargo shed at the end of the wharf.
This location later was to become the home of the Club and the clubrooms remained there until recently when the club moved accross the road to new sparling premises.
The Club first recorded day of fishing was on 26 February 1925, marked by its first two catch records – a 300lb striped marlin caught by 'Chad' (Mr Chadban) and a 320lb mako caught by local policeman, Tom Cannon.
The news of the wonderful fishing and superb scenery around mercury Bay and the Mercury Islands spread quickly and in 1928 Zane Grey and his companion Captain Laurie Mitchell arrived to tackle the abundant Mercury Bay waters.