The original Akaroa lighthouse started operation on the precipitous headland of Akaroa Heads on 1 January 1880. One hundred years later, it was moved down to Akaroa township, after being replaced in 1977 by an automated light.
The foundations are all that remain of the lighthouse keeper’s family homes, but the original stonework of the supply road down to Haylocks Bay remains along the cliff face, including an original stone culvert at the junction of the road and the small stream.
From Akaroa township on Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, take the Akaroa Lighthouse Road. Warning; this is 11km of steep, narrow, rough road and more suitable for 4 wheel-drive vehicles.