Want to learn about the ethics of shopping in a more sustainable manner? Join eco shopper Stella Carruthers and discover the power in your purchasing. Consider the environmental effects of what you buy as well as the diverse impacts on the people who produce the goods you use.
As the title of this course suggests, it involves exploring shopping from a sustainability angle. That is, it examines consumerism from an ethical and environmentally sustainable space.
Topics covered in this workshop include an exploration of second-hand values, the principles of Fair Trade and the inequalities of sweat shop labour and fast fashion, embodied energy and the life cycles of products and the importance of country of origin labelling and waste issues.
This two hour talk will give participants the basic knowledge and inspiration to take action on their journey to be more conscious consumers. Here, a conscious consumer is defined as someone who considers the wider impacts of their purchasing choices and uses that knowledge as a powerful and simple way to affect change. This workshop empowers participants to realise how the simple act of buying something can become a political and personal action that speaks of a demand for systemic change.
Bring pen and paper or laptop if you wish to take notes.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Recognise the values of buying second hand in relation to positive environmental impacts.
- Define ethical production methods relating to Fair Trade and the principle of economic equalities.
- Discuss the social justice elements of shopping as they relate to sweat shops and fast fashion.
- Define the concept of embodied energy and how it is connected to ecologically aware economics.
- Consider the life-cycles of products.
- Discuss country of origin labelling and what it means in terms of sustainability.
- Review common assumptions about packaging and commercial waste issues from a consumer perspective.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Presented by Stella Carruthers.