1st Annual February 29th Festival at The Black Sheep Bar & Grill, Whakamarama!
Two of the Bay of Plenty's top bands join forces for a fantastic evening of hi-energy rockin' blues and more.
GRANT HAUA TRIO
A new rocking band from the brilliant Grant Haua, the brilliant singer/guitarist behind Swamp Thing, Moss, and She's Just Greedy. Grant is one of the country's finest blues singers and songwriters and a breathtaking guitarist, joined now by bass player/singer Brian Franks (Brilleaux, Tuner) and drummer Jeff Nilson (Electric Universe, Black Rose). Grant has also recently recorded a solo album and will open the afternoon with a solo set.
Some of Grant's achievments:
- Held 1 and 2 top spots on NZ album charts simultaneously
- Headlined Festivals both here and Australia (Geraldton Blues Festival W.A., Blues at the Briars Vic, Sanctuary Sounds NZ, to name a few)
- Headlined Gisborne Blues Festival 2017 as a solo artist
- Invited to The Woodford Folk Festival 3 times (125000 average yearly attendance, largest of its kind in Australia)
- Performances at Womad and Womadelaide mainstage (95000 attended Adelaide)
"The Grant Haua Trio are filling a void in our local music scene by offering locals exceptional funky blues... No such thing as “she’ll be right” in the way these guys play, professionalism and an obvious passion for the creative process of making music shine through." Music.Net.NZ
New Zealand's favourite blues 'n' roots band will be bringing their full six piece line-up:
Derek Jacombs - Vocals, acoustic guitar
Grant Bullot - Harmonica
Sonia Bullot - Trumpet
Nigel Masters - Bass
Mike Kirk - Electric guitar
Ian "Beano" Gilpin
Expect old favourites, new surprises and a full-on show. Last year Kokomo released their 12th album Sunset Claws - the band is currently working on a new one due for release later in 2020.
3.00pm - Doors open
4.00pm - Grant Haua (solo)
4.45pm - Kokomo
6.30pm - Grant Haua Trio
Tickets are also available from The Black Sheep, Whakamarama