This 2 day short course introduces the Shima Seiki Apex Design System for knitwear.
The Apex Design System enables the user to:
- Introduce knitwear to their product range.
- Design and visualise in 3D a knitwear range without the expense of initial sampling.
- Quickly and easily make an exact representation of knitted fabric in various gauges.
- Knit virtually on screen using various yarn and yarn combinations.
- Create colour ways and swatches for sales presentations.
- Virtually create garments in 3D for design/sales presentations.
- View a ‘split screen’ perspective to easily communicate designs to technicians.
This intimate course will enable you to design knitted fabrics and garments and to produce “virtual” knitted swatches for use in range development, production specifications and sales presentations. It will appeal to those actively involved in knitwear design, those who wish to venture into knitwear for the first time, and anyone involved in the design and specification of knitwear ranges. Only six places are available on this course due to the specialised Shima Seiki Apex design software used. A high level of tutor to student contact is a feature of this course.
Course presenter: Alysha Gover.
Alysha has a strong design background in the knitwear and textile sector having studied for her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees at AUT. Alysha worked closely with the TDL throughout her course of study, developing knit and digital print pieces for her own research, as well as samples for her free-lance clients. She has attended several Apex Design system training sessions at the Shima Seiki training centre in Japan. After completing her Master’s Degree in Art and Design (Fashion Major) she has worked in the apparel industry as a knitwear and textile designer, free-lance print designer, and currently as a product development specialist for a large apparel company.
Course content -
Participants will be given a short tutorial on yarns and the importance of yarn selection for knitting. An overview of the Shima Seiki Apex Design System will be given, and an introduction to the use of the various design features of the Apex System including the stitch database, yarn simulation and colour tools, as well as template mapping, colour matching and project development skills.
Learning outcomes -
- Gain an understanding of yarns and yarn counts.
- Learn how to produce virtual fabric on screen.
- Understand the principles of garment simulation.
- Gain knowledge of the stitch database.
- Learn how to create colour way sheets for presentations.
- Gain an understanding of the knitwear development processes.
- Gain knowledge of virtually simulating digital textile printing onto knitwear.
- Gain an understanding of the processes involved in knitwear development.
Participant requirements -
Competent computer skills are required for this course. Some previous Photoshop experience would be advantageous but not essential.
What to bring -
There will be ample opportunity to discuss your own specific design issues so it might be helpful to list these down in order of priority before the course. Please bring your own lunch and refreshments. Tea and coffee making facilities and a microwave are available.
AUT Textile and Design Lab, 9 Mount Street, Auckland CBD.