The original 420 hectare farm was acquired in 1938, with a further 56.5ha added in 1971. In 1983 Tuapaka was divided into two blocks so that better commercial use could be made of the farm - a 111ha unit of predominantly flat ground, and a hill unit of 365ha.
Initially following this subdivision it was decided to run bulls from weaners to 18 months on the smaller unit, with a sheep and bull beef system put into place on the large unit.
Recently, management strategies have changed to better utilise the property. Several windmills have been constructed on the top hill country as part of a larger wind farm, providing new challenges and opportunities for the farm.
Tuapaka Farm is owned and operated by Massey University.