The museum is housed in a pre WWII building designed in 1934 by Invercargill's distinguished architect the late Edmund R Wilson, and the Prime Minister - the late Honourable Peter Fraser - opened the building in 1937. It has memorabilia of numerous archives and artefacts belonging to the legendary Dr Trotter of Riverton, Riverton and Lorne Hospital - both now demolished, Southland's Cottage Hospitals now closed, Dee Street Maternity Hospital now closed and Southland Hospital Kew.
Two tiled floored rooms house urinary devices and aids to daily living, an iron lung, anaesthetic and cardiograph machines. There is also a room of nursing memorabilia with a wall full of photos spanning a hundred years of nursing executives. In this room Florence Nightingale is well represented by a plaster of Paris bust, photos and books.