10am-4pm: Explore each of the five Tuia 250 flotilla vessels and meet the crews.
Learn about migration, conservation, sail & rope handling, the lunar calendar, using a star compass.
Discover the fascinating Tuia Mātauranga Roadshow and visit a portable planetarium.
Bring a picnic and stay all day.
A once in a lifetime opportunity to explore historic tall ships, double hulled waka and other vessels which celebrate the exceptional feats of navigators and voyagers from Māori and Pākehā history.\
This event is part of the Tuia 250 Encounters programme.
- There will be opportunities for the public to go on board the vessels.
- Activities by waka hourua crew to instruct the public including education around navigation and sailing mātauranga, and activities from Tahitian crew about Tahitian/va’a voyaging traditions.
The Tuia 250 flotilla includes:
- Two waka hourua (double-hulled canoes) - the Haunui and Ngahiraka Mai Tawhiti
- The Fa’afaite i te Ao Mā’ohi, a va’a moana from Tahiti.
- The HMB Endeavour replica from the Australian National Maritime Museum
- The Spirit of New Zealand.