Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
Tutor: Cristina Capri
Michelangelo, Giotto, Caravaggio were some of Italy's great artists. Always wanted to know more about their art and lives? In this course, you will explore the art and lives of some of the great Renaissance and Baroque artists and the fascinating times they lived in.
You will learn about:
- Giotto - the first entrepreneur, the invention of perspective and why the sky is not 'gold' any more... history of Cappella degli Scrovegni in Padua
- Leonardo - the invention of the 'banquet' and his passion for culinary art... brief biography of the artist, his first inventions and how he worked for the Sforza family in Milan as an 'event organiser' as well as a civil engineer designing fortresses
- Two artists to compare - Michelangelo, the 'lonely' artist at the court of the Pope, his Guidizio Universale and his 'non-finito' technique; Rafaello with his 'Bottega' full of artists and his paintings in the Vatican.
- Caraveggio - the 'chiaro-scuro' in his paintings... his rather complicated life and the mystery of his untimely violent death
- Bernini - the fountains in his youth and the colonnade in St Peter's Square, how it represented the Church of the time...
Italian-born Cristina Piva Capri holds a Masters degree in Architecture from Venice, where she developed a special interest in history and worked as an assistant on the conservation of historical villages in the Venetian district. In New Zealand, Cristina works as an interior architect, and tutors in Interior Design, Art and Architecture, and Italian Language and Culture.
Cristina also teaches: When In Rome! Travellers' Italian Weekend Course, Interior Design, The Secrets of Italian Architecture.
Our mission is to provide quality affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities for our community.