The ‘Contemporary Issues in Religion’ series focuses on special topics in the study of religion and addresses a different issue or theme each Term. The four Term topics currently being offered in this series are: “Religious Fundamentalism, Extremism & Terrorism,” “Religion and Nonviolence,” “Other ’Isms,” and “New Religious Movements.” Each Term class may be taken independently of the others and there are no prerequisites. Classes may be joined at any time throughout the year.
EarthDiverse is pleased to announce its 2020 Term 1 Religious Diversity classes in Hamilton in our ‘Contemporary Issues in Religion’ series, entitled “Religious Fundamentalism & Religion & Nonviolence.”
This eight-week course involves a detailed study of the history, context and contemporary issues of religious fundamentalism, extremism and terrorism in Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. Both Buddhist and Sikh fundamentalism will be covered in the continuation of this class in Term 2, which also includes sessions on the topic of “Religion and Nonviolence.”
Hamilton classes in this series meet on Friday mornings during 2020 Terms 1 & 2 from 11:00am-1:30pm. The Term 1 & 2 classes are taught in tandem with Term 1 focused on “Religious Fundamentalism, Terrorism and Extremism” while Term 2 focuses on “Religion and Nonviolence.” Term 1 classes in Hamilton begin on Friday 14 February 2020, meet weekly for eight sessions, and end on Friday 3 April 2020.
The Term 2 class will continue with the final two talks in the “Religious Fundamentalism, Extremism and Terrorism” series on both Buddhist and Sikh Fundamentalism, and will continue with the topic of “Religion and Nonviolence” over the last six sessions of Term 2.
Term 1 Sessions:
- Week 1: Course Introduction; Jewish Fundamentalism: Historical Context
- Week 2: Contemporary Jewish Fundamentalism & Extremism
- Week 3: Christian Fundamentalism: Historical Context
- Week 4: Contemporary Christian Fundamentalism & Extremism
- Week 5: Islamic Fundamentalism: Historical Context
- Week 6: Islamic Extremism and Violence: Contemporary Context
- Week 7: A Brief History of Hindu Fundamentalism
- Week 8: Contemporary Hindu Nationalism, Extremism and Violence
Term 2 Sessions:
- Week 1: Sikh Nationalism, Extremism & Terrorism
- Week 2: Buddhist Fundamentalism, Extremism & Terrorism
- Week 3: Religion and Nonviolence: Jain ideals of ahimsā
- Week 4: Hindu Approaches to Nonviolence: Mahātmā Gāndhī & Satyāgraha
- Week 5: Buddhism, Nonviolence and the Dalāi Lāmā
- Week 6: Jewish Approaches to Peace & Social Justice: Tikkun Olam
- Week 7: Christian Approaches to Peace & Nonviolence
- Week 8: Islamic Approaches to Peace and Nonviolence
- Waged: $104 per person per term (8 sessions; includes $4 online registration fee)
- Unwaged/Student/Senior: $84/person (8 sessions; includes $4 online registration fee)
All classes are taught from an objective, anthropological and historical point of view.
More info: For more information on this and our other courses please see our official website.
Registration: To register, please visit the website.