A Waka Festival will be held to celebrate the arrival of the waka hourua to Mahia-mai-tawhiti.
This grassroots festival celebrates our Pacific Voyaging traditions, the Moana, as well as showcasing local community talents and businesses.
Join the people of Māhia and the waka crews for regattas, dinghy races, live entertainment, delicious food and stalls. Learn about celestial navigation in the Stardome, and discover the world of voyaging through the touring Voyaging Roadshow. Activities will demonstrate the mātauranga (knowledge) of Pacific voyagers who found and settled Aotearoa many generations ago.
- Arrival of waka hourua at 8am
- Haka pōwhiri on the beach at Māhia Beach, and then the waka crew will be transported to Ruawharo for a formal haka pōwhiri.
- Public festival begins at Māhia Beach at 10am and runs all day
- Waka Taurua Regatta at 11am
- Waka hourua tours begin at 12pm
- Beach fun and games
- Live entertainment
Presented by the Mahia Māori Committee.
This event is part of the Tuia – Encounters 250 programme.