10am-4pm: Explore each of the five Tuia 250 flotilla vessels and meet the crews.
Learn about migration, conservation, sail & rope handling, the lunar calendar, using a star compass.
Discover the fascinating Tuia Mātauranga Roadshow and visit a portable planetarium.
Bring a picnic and stay all day.
A once in a lifetime opportunity to explore historic tall ships, double hulled waka and other vessels which celebrate the exceptional feats of navigators and voyagers from Māori and Pākehā history.
- There will be opportunities for the public to go on board the vessels.
- Activities by waka hourua crew to instruct the public including education around navigation and sailing mātauranga, and activities from Tahitian crew about Tahitian/va’a voyaging traditions.
The Tuia 250 flotilla includes:
- Two waka hourua (double-hulled canoes) - the Haunui and Ngahiraka Mai Tawhiti
- The Fa’afaite i te Ao Mā’ohi, a va’a moana from Tahiti.
- The HMB Endeavour replica from the Australian National Maritime Museum
- The Spirit of New Zealand.