Make a Kono basket - Sustainable flax square basket.
The kono basket is one of the first items you make prior to learning to weave a kete/flax kit. The base skills learnt, will allow you to make a variety of different sized baskets and bowls and move towards learning how to make a kete.
All equipment provided, and light refreshments.
The following will be covered;
- Tikanga (Custom) of mahi raranga/weaving
- How to identify the correct type of flax to harvest from
- How to harvest flax sustainably
- Prepare harakeke/flax for weaving
- Make a four corner kono basket
Complete your very first kono!
The base skills you learn will enable you to start building a foundation to aim towards creating more complex items in the future if you so wish - kete timata, kete whiri (plait kete), whariki (mats), pieke (backpack), kete whakairo (patterned kete), flat bottom kete, etc.