The epic voyage of Kupe, the great Pacific explorer and navigator, is recounted in this enchanting, richly imagined show by writer and poet Apirana Taylor – a marvel of storytelling everyone should experience.
Be swept along by the voyage of Kupe, the great Pacific explorer and navigator, in this richly imagined solo show by writer and poet Apirana Taylor.
Ka Tito Au celebrates the long ago exploits of a man many believe was the first visitor to these shores. Tracing Kupe’s whakapapa and his connection to the islands and the ocean, his dramatic expedition on the Matahourua waka, and his climactic battle with the giant octopus Te Wheke-a-Muturangi, this thrilling odyssey, conceived as an epic poem by Taylor, spans myriad narratives ripe for rediscovery.
“Dynamic storytelling… may it have the long life it deserves so many thousands more can enjoy it.” — Theatreview
The performance of Ka Tito Au at Mangere Arts Centre on Friday 15 March at 12.30pm is fully subscribed. You are welcome to join the waiting list (https://goo.gl/forms/kR6ebsAudj2tBBqh1) for tickets and (Auckland Arts Festival) will contact you to advise if you have been successful.
On tour throughout regional Auckland
- Māngere Arts Centre / Fri 15 March 12.30PM
- Barnett Hall, Piha / Sat 16 March 2.00PM
- Reweti Marae, Waimauku / Sat 16 March 7.00PM
- Depot Artspace, Devonport / Sun 17 March 1.00PM
- Warkworth Town Hall / Sun 17 March 6.00PM
- Piritahi Marae, Waiheke Island / Fri 22 March 7.00PM
- Franklin Arts Centre, Pukekohe / Sat 23 March 2.00PM
- Te Oro, Glen Innes / Sat 23 March 7.00PM
- Uxbridge Arts Centre, Howick / Sun 24 March 1.00PM
- Waipapa Marae, Auckland Central / Sun 24 March 6.00PM
Recommended for ages 8+
Duration: 50mins, no interval
Performed in English
- Touch Tour: Fri 15 March 11.30AM
- Touch Tour: Sun 24 March 5.00PM
Visit aaf.co.nz/access for details
Originally commissioned by New Zealand Festival. Presented by arrangement with Playmarket.
Image: © Jeff McEwan