The United Fire Brigades' Association (UFBA) is NZ's oldest association and not for profit supporting the interests of firefighters of all kinds across New Zealand. We run fun events that challenge and test the unsung community heroes and emergency first responders that work tirelessly to keep you and your property safe.
The Combat Challenge is like a Firefighter Iron Man and is the most physically demanding of our Challenges - so crossing the finishing line is all the more rewarding! It's earned the reputation of being 'the toughest two minutes in sport'.
Wearing full bunker gear and breathing from a BA set, competitors race against each other and the clock in a series of tasks across the course.
The five tasks are:
- Climbing a 6 storey tower carrying a length of 70mm 19kg flaked hose
- Hoisting a 70mm hose coil 6 storeys
- Chopping using a 4kg shot hammer to drive a beam 1.5 metres
- Extending a charged length of 45mm hose to knock down a disc
- Dragging a life sized dummy a distance of 30.5m
The competition is a great test of skill and fitness and simulates the physical demands of real life firefighting to the public.
Spectators are welcome to come along and cheer on these tough guys and gals and gain an insight into the challenging but rewarding world of firefighting.