Rear Admiral David Proctor is a proud Old Boy of Colenso High (Head Boy in 1986) and welcomes the opportunity to talk to the community at William Colenso College about his journey from Maraenui to the sea and on to the highest military position within the Royal New Zealand Navy.
As he looks to make the Navy even more of a diverse organisation, he does have some key messages for young adults about what makes a great sailor, an excellent leader and a good person:
- Have confidence in stepping up to lead
- Challenge yourself
- Invest in relationships and build trust with those you work with or may need to work with
- Value diversity of thought and opinion
- Encourage others to be the best they can be - and set an example in this space
- Strive for excellence but accept the 80% solution
- Be respectful
- Be positive in your outlook
- Forgive yourself for minor faults
- Thank your family!
This is a free event but for catering purposes, please phone the college on 06 8310180 and leave a message saying how many will attend.