A practical workshop where you’ll make a round of farmhouse style cheddar and take it home in a cheese press which is yours to keep. All ingredients (and the cheese press to take home) provided.
During this hands-on workshop, you’ll be guided through each step of the cheesemaking process while making your very own round of farmhouse style cheddar.
The fee includes a cheese press (value $95.00) which can be used every time you want to make a hard cheese. It holds up to 6 litres of milk and this is what you’ll be taking your cheese home in to press for 12 hours after the workshop. All ingredients, recipes and a full set of course notes are provided.
You’ll also receive comprehensive instruction on how to wax (if you choose to) and then mature your cheese over the next five weeks. Alexis will also demonstrate how to make halloumi cheese which will then be grilled for you to enjoy! There’ll be a short lunch break and cheese making supplies such as wax will be available to purchase.
By the end of the workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the basics of sanitisation and hygiene
- Recognise the difference between raw and pasteurised milk and know where to source them
- Make a round of cheddar cheese using a cheese press
- Describe how to wax and mature the cheese
- Describe how to make halloumi, following a demonstration
Presenter: Alexis Murti