3rd annual Block Party, on the Saturday of Labour Day weekend.
Music, painting, photography, pottery, poetry, kids art, street printing, books, tours, food, films...
25+ free things to do - take a walk around the CBD block and experience the neighbourhood Masterton Arts Quarter, Library Square, and Queen Elizabeth Park.
"Like" our Facebook page for most current information: https://www.facebook.com/BlockPartyMasterton/
- Tia Tuuta, Kaitakawaenga Māori Liaison Advisor, opens the Party at 9.30am at ConArt
Masterton Arts Quarter (Bruce & Queen Streets)
- Koauau flute-making at King Street Artworks
- Photo-swap in front of King Street Artworks (bring one to the party, take one home)
- Make star constellations & play with galaxy play-doh in the courtyard of Aratoi
- Behind-the-scenes collection tour for kids at Aratoi (11am) book: email@example.com
- Breadcraft will introduce their new line of cricket, hemp seed, purple corn, and spinach wraps at Aratoi
- Kids art at ConArt
- Singer-songwriter stage at ConArt
- pottery workshop with Sam Ludden at Te Pātukituki (Te Pā), 15 Queen St. (1pm)
- Live character Manukura will arrive from Pūkaha and greet visitors
Queen Street - Near Library
- Printing from Queen Street manhole covers onto tote bags - near Library
- Live Poetry in Library Square
- Second-hand book sale near Library with NZ Pacific Studio
Queen Elizabeth Park
- Play 100+ instruments with Jonáš Koukl under the trees of QE Park
- DJ stage in Queen Elizabeth Park. led by Sean Trueman, DJ Mawley)
- Art in the Park (10-20 artists will paint at their easels)
- Devonshire tea and scones at Come Sew With Me, Rose Cottage, QE Park
- Tree Tour, led by Alan Feilding, meet at Hosking Fountain, Queen Elizabeth Park,(11am, and 1pm)
- Free inflatables and games at Trust House Recreation Centre
- Outdoor Poems Tour led by Chris Daniell, Meet at Trust House Recreation Centre (12 Noon)
- Wool Shed - free entry (10-2) and free shearing demos (11-1)
- Wairarapa Spinners and Weavers creating out front of The Wool Shed
- Green films at the MTLT Education Centre, 22 Dixon St -- 1/ Fools and Dreamers (30min) 2/ Conservation in the Wairarapa (15min) produced by two students: Edward Rice and Carys Gibbs (from 11am)
- Meet Green Groups at Education Centre (from 11am)
Food stalls in QE Park and Masterton Arts Quarter
Bright Green Smoothies special at Entice Café
Wairarapa Farmers’ Market is open
Thai Aroy Maak offers amazing Thai treats for the third year in a row.
- Tia Tuuta, Kaitakawaenga Māori Liaison Advisor closes the event at 2.30pm, at ConArt
This is Masterton’s third annual Block Party. The first event, in 2017, was initiated by Aratoi Wairarapa Museum of Art and History, co-presented with Our Future Masterton and Urban Dream Brokerage, financially supported by Masterton District Council, and carried out by the entire CBD block.
Block Party 2019 is led by Masterton Arts Quarter, which is comprised of Aratoi Wairarapa Museum of Art and History, ConArt Gallery and Studios, King Street Artworks, and Te Pātukituki o Wairarapa.
Their motto: “Our togetherness keeps us well. Mā tātou ka ora ai tātou.”
Block Party 2019 Organisers: Aratoi Wairarapa Museum of Art and History, ConArt Gallery and Studios, King Street Artworks, Masterton Art Club, Wairarapa Archive.
Masterton Creative Communities Scheme have supplied core funding.