Our next full Queen’s Closet performance will be on the 3rd November at 5pm in Prefab Hall in Wellington. The title of the programme is “All the Pleasures” after Henry Purcell’s first Ode to honour the patron saint of musicians, St Cecilia, which begins:
- Welcome to all the pleasures that delight
- Of ev’ry sense the grateful appetite.
- Hail, great assembly of Apollo’s race.
- Hail to this happy place, this musical assembly
- That seems to be the arc of universal harmony.
Not only will there be music and good company, but some nibbles to get you started (feel free to bring more to feast on, and a bottle, to share with your friends), and who knows, you may even feel inspired into dancing! The programme will include colourful music by Henry Purcell and other Restoration composers, as well as continental composers of this time such as Schmelzer, Albrici and Biber.
Hear the diverse sounds of baroque strings, hoboy, natural trumpets, sackbut, cornetto, baroque bassoon, Harpsichord and percussion. A feast for all the senses… all the pleasures, indeed!