Join us for our third annual Legends of Conservation Adventure Race! Meet the amazing people carrying out important conservation work throughout Taranaki, and race around some of the most beautiful gardens and rainforest in New Zealand!
This event is best suited for primary and intermediate children, however all are welcome to participate.
Date and times:
- Saturday 14 September (no postponement day, this event will go ahead)
- 09:45 am - race briefing. Your team MUST attend the race briefing in order to compete
- Race starts at 10 am until 12 with a sausage sizzle lunch provided afterwards, as well as a prize giving
Pukeiti Gardens - there will be signage to guide you to the start
There is plenty of parking at the gardens, but make sure you arrive nice and early if it is a nice day, as the gardens are popular and the car park may fill up.
There is no cost but your team might like to give a donation on the day. The proceeds will go towards the Experiencing Marine Reserves programme which provides local children the opportunity to learn to snorkel and visit a marine reserve, as well as marine education.
- Your team may be a school team, a family team or a group of friends.
- You can have up to 6 people in your team but two of these must be adults (over 18)
- Your team must stay together - it's a team race
Rules and Safety Information:
- You must attend the safety briefing
- You must have two adults in your team.
- Your team must stay together. If you split up, you are disqualified
- Make sure your adults carry their fully charged phones
- Wear some comfortable but sturdy shoes.
- Stay on the track at all times, no one is to use the road
- Return to the starting point by 12
Each team member, including adults must carry a backpack with:
- A raincoat
- Warm layers like a polyprop or merino top
- A warm outer layer like a jersey or a warm hoodie
- A sunhat
- A warm hat
- At least one litre of water and some snacks to top up your energy
How this Adventure Race works:
Once we have had the safety briefing you will have 10 minutes to carefully study your map to decide which way you will go. You want to gather as many points as you can in two hours. We are using tracks in the garden - the road cannot be used at any time. The aim of the race is to meet as many conservation legends doing awesome work in Taranaki as you can! Talk to them and fill out your answer sheet, then race to talk to the next legend. There will also be codes and bonus points you must get.
To join this great race, organise your team and register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/29N3RY7
(register early, there is a limit on teams)
Participate in this event and claim your Toyota Kiwi Guardians explorer medal - see www.doc.govt.nz/kiwiguardiansexplorer
This event is part of Conservation Week 2019 - www.conservationweek.org.nz