Cambridge Certificate in teaching English to speakers of other languages. CELTA is an internationally recognized teacher training course that will give you the qualification you need to teach English as a
second language in English and non-English speaking countries.
Who is CELTA for?
CELTA is just what you’re looking for if you are:
- Looking for a career change.
- Planning on moving or travelling overseas, eager to meet and know people from all walks of life.
- Interested in gaining an internationally recognized teaching qualification.
- Passionate about getting practical knowledge, hands-on teaching experience and essential classroom confidence.
- A recent graduate with little or no teaching experience.
- A teacher of other subjects wanting to retrain as an English language teacher.
Why study CELTA at NZLC?
- NZLC offers a unique 5-week course instead of the more commonly seen 4-week course. One integrated and supported study day per week, allowing more time to research written assignments and plan lessons. Less pressure/reduced stress. Greater enjoyment of the whole experience.
- Over 95% passing rate.
- Over 80% of our graduates find employment in ELT after completing the course.
- A reputable NZQA Category 1 Language School with over 500 students from 25 different countries.
- Winner of the ST Star Award English School in the Southern Hemisphere 4 years in a row!
- The largest language school in New Zealand with lots of teaching opportunities available.
- In-course and post-course employment support, including job workshops, Q&A session on how to get your first teaching job delivered by NZLC’s Academic Department, job placement support etc.
- Be trained by our internationally experienced tutors who have undergone a rigorous selection and training process that is monitored by Cambridge.
- Perfect location right next to the vibrant Viaduct harbour, surrounded by the water and minutes away from Britomart transport station and ferry terminal.
What is the basic CELTA course content?
The core of the course is six hours of teaching practice. In this time, CELTA students teach a variety of lesson types to adult learners of English at two different levels. The supervised teaching practice is
supported with guided lesson planning and personalised feedback on lessons. There are seminars or workshops each day, which include demonstration lessons, discussion of teaching principles and
techniques, materials evaluation, and language analysis for teaching purposes. Students also observe six hours of teaching by experienced teachers and teacher trainers in language classes at the school or on DVD. In addition, students write four assignments (750–1000 words each) on language teaching and learning. The course also includes teaching practice and an assessed lesson with pre-intermediate level students in the final week.
How much does the course cost? Total of NZ $3,200 (or NZ $3,100 with Early Bird Discount) including GST. Cost breakdown:
• Enrolment Fee: $200
• Material Fee: $100
• Cambridge ESOL Fee: $300
• Tuition Fee: $2600 (or $2500 with early bird discount)
Course participants are not normally eligible for student loans but any enquiries should be directed to the appropriate authority. Early bird special: Receive a $100 discount if you book (and pay the $500 deposit) 7 weeks before the start date.
Who can apply for CELTA?
CELTA is suitable for native speakers of English, but is also open to non-native speakers who have native speaker competence in both spoken and written English. Applicants must fulfil the following requirements:
- be aged 18 +
- be a native English speaker or have an equivalent level in English (C1+ to C2 or Advanced CAE ‘A’ or ‘B’ grade or IELTS 7.5)
- meet the academic Requirement (University Entrance (UE) or equivalent)
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practice teaching