Extended to 7 October!
Sirocco nocturnal experience
Sirocco. He's been billed as a national treasure, a living legend and a rockstar. He's charismatic, enigmatic and intriguing, he commands his own seat in an aeroplane, and has more than 11,000 Facebook fans.
Sirocco is the champion bird for the New Zealand Kakapo Recovery programme and he is coming to Maungatautari for a very special visit.
This one-hour fully guided experience will be your only opportunity this year to get up close and personal with one of New Zealand's most precious taonga. You will need to get in quickly because the Sirocco experience is for 6 weeks only and tickets are expected to sell out!
• There are fewer than 150 left in the world
• Kakapo are endemic to New Zealand
• It's one of the rarest parrots in the world
• It's flightless
• It's the world's heaviest parrot
• It's possibly the oldest living bird
• It has a subsonic mating boom that can travel several kilometres
• It is critically endangered
Four departures nightly from 18 August to 7 October 2012. Tours commence at 7.30pm, 8pm, 8.30pm and 9pm.
The Sirocco Experience is offered in partnership with DOC and Käkäpo Recovery.